The 270 Days of Winter Update is Here!
Posted by Sir Max on December 15, 2020 at 7:00 PM
On the first day of winter, Toontown gives to you:
A long-awaited update just for YOU!
Happy Winter Holiday, Toontown! What's that? Where have I been for the past year? I've been writing blog posts, of course! Haven't you seen my great hits like Un-Gluing the Gate: a classic Sir Max blog post?
...Okay, that should be enough to throw Flippy off the scent. The truth is, I've been on a bit of a vacation from my job as editor of the Toontown Blog. I took up a job working over at Jesse’s Joke Repair. We’ve had tons to fix -- literally! Someone brought in a few Big Weights as light as balloons, and don't even get me started on the unpeeled bananas.
When winter came around, I tried turning some of my scrapped blog posts into a nice and warm fire, but Jesse Jester just insisted that we try to fix them up. There isn’t really an “I” in that team, though, so I just pretended to help. By throwing them into the fire.
Anyway, I'm back at the blog for a very exciting announcement that the Toon Council asked me to announce. Get your hot cocoa and yule logs (or trash fires) ready, because we're going to be celebrating 270 Days of Winter!
What's that? Dots? Oh.
Sorry, it seems I got a few hot cocoa smudges on my notes. It turns out we're going to be celebrating a much less chilly 12 Days of Winter starting with much more exciting news: The 2.7.0 Update is here!
This update is the largest one that Toontown has ever seen, with many long-awaited features and fixes that have been requested by Toons just like YOU. Let's take a look at a few highlights!
Chat & Friend Features
With everything new coming to Toontown, you’ll want friends to enjoy it with -- perhaps even 150 of them? The Friends List has received various Toon-Ups, most notably that Toons can now have 150 friends! Take that, Toonbook.
We’ve also made SpeedChat both speedier and chattier. In addition to various bugfixes that make it easier to use, you'll find new SpeedChat phrases, such as the new “Districts” category. Plus, SpeedChat-only Toons can now see all SpeedChat+ from any Toon with a badge above their head so that they don’t miss out on any fun.
Last but not least, Toontown Partners now have a special “Community Partner” Toon ID to identify them on the Toon Detail Panel. Don't be afraid to say hi!
Better Express Yourself
Ever had a hankering to be named Aunt Alvin? What about Miss Buford Bagelberry? As part of a larger effort to make Toontown more inclusive, Pick-a-Name options and Cattlelog furniture offerings are now available to Toons of any gender.
Next, picking a style is easier than ever! The wardrobe now allows Toons to rotate just like the accessory trunk, which will come in handy when picking out your favorite blue shirt with brown shorts.
Best of all, your accessories will now appear anywhere your head is around Toontown, such as Toon Detail Panels, Building Portraits, and the Pick-a-Toon screen!
The Options Menu is getting even bigger with some brand new additions.
As the shining star atop the tree, Content Pack selection is now supported through the Options Menu! Toontown has been getting many fresh coats of paint all thanks to Content Packs for years. Now, under Visual Settings, they can be enabled, disabled, and given a priority order -- allowing mixin’ and matchin’ of Content Packs like never before!
Through the new “Ambient Sound Effects” option, you can also silence stompers, those squealing Party Hat noises, and even the birds in your estate! Wait, there are birds in estates now?
The Toon Resistance has cracked the Cogs’ security, making many breakthroughs to fix some nasty issues.
Toons shouldn’t mysteriously end up in the Grey anymore, or mistakenly activate both laser puzzles in DA Offices at once. Loony Labs has also rerouted portable holes so that you'll never pop into a Cog’s path in Cog Headquarters.
Lastly, Toon HQ has beefed up security -- Mega-Invasions will now arrive in waves, with breaks between each invasion!
There's so much more within this update that I'd love to tell you about, but I just “fixed” this stick of TNT and I only have a few seconds to run. Instead, check out the MASSIVE list of release notes below.
Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, and Happy Winter Holi-- POW!
December 15, 2020 [ttr-live-v2.7.0]
• In-Game Prompts are now managed under a new system to fix multiple glitches and some soft-lock issues.
• When you ignore another player, that preference now persists between game-sessions until you choose to stop ignoring them.
• Fixed a longstanding issue that prevented players from restoring Laff on the trolley.
• Fixed a bug where Find Four would declare a player the winner when they haven’t actually won.
• Fixed several grammatical errors throughout Toontown. If you find any more, please let us know!
• Addressed a district reset relating to choosing a picnic game.
• Fixed a crash when the game window's height was set to zero.
• Addressed a crash that could happen when entering doors during high server stress times.
• Removed the ability to pick up the Red Nose Deer ToonTask twice.
• Fixed an issue where Doodles would escape to the playground, causing district resets. Remember, lock the gate to your Estate!
• A new option is available under the Video Tab in the Options Menu to manage your Content Packs! You can enable and disable Content Packs on an individual basis, and choose which order they are loaded in by clicking and dragging all in one menu to mix and match full content packs with partial ones.
(NOTE: This setting will only appear if you already have a Content Pack, as they cannot be installed through the game. You can download Content Packs from third-party sources and drop the files into a “resources” folder wherever you have Toontown Rewritten installed.)
• Content Pack creators can add a custom icon and description for the game to display when they distribute their content packs. More info can be found on our FAQ.
• In a future update, you’ll be able to distinguish content packs provided by Toontown Partners.
Friends & SpeedChat
• Friend loading has been rewritten, and we’re trying out the changes by allowing players to now have up to 150 friends!
• Added a “District” section to SpeedChat to better communicate with others where to go.
• Added the phrase “I hear you!” under the “Friendly” menu.
• Players will now be notified if they whisper to a SpeedChat-only player through SpeedChat+.
• Players who can only use SpeedChat can now view SpeedChat+ messages sent by Staff Members and Cast Members.
• Fixed a long standing bug where SpeedChat menus behaved unexpectedly when trying to hover over a message with several categories open.
• Removed “Player” friend lists, which was a remnant of other Disney services.
• Fixed a crash that could occur when using SpeedChat while exiting the game.
• Made various additions and removals to the SpeedChat+ dictionary.
• Added a setting for enabling and disabling ambient sound effects (environmental sounds).
• Bird chirping has been added to the estate. Where it comes from, nobody quite knows.
• The Dynamic Music system has been optimized with several bugs being addressed.
• Reduced the volume of the “Delighted” animation.
• Reduced the volume of various MiniGolf elements.
• Lure gags now display how many rounds the 'lured' effect lasts, rather than damage.
• Toons can no longer start battles with Cogs while Sad.
• Fixed a bug that would cause an SOS Card not to be used if two players picked the same card, but one backed out of their choice.
• Fixed a bug where Toon placement in battles moves forward after Chief Justice battles.
• Fixed a crash that sometimes occurred in battles.
• The Cattlelog can now properly be closed by pressing the EXIT ACTIVITY key.
• Fixed a bug where the Applause animation’s mute button would not properly mute it.
• Gender restrictions for all furniture items in the Cattlelog have been removed.
• The “Gift” button now properly updates if a Toon’s jellybean count is updated while the Cattlelog is open.
Clothing & Accessories
• Toon Accessories are now considered integral DNA -- it’s as characteristic to a Toon as the shirt on their body or the species they are! Thanks to this, accessories now appear in more locations in-game where they didn’t before.
• Toons can now rotate in the wardrobe, similar to the accessory trunk.
• Mega-Invasions now come in waves, as in Toontown Online: a 3 hour invasion followed by a 3 hour cooldown before the next invasion starts.
• Fixed a rare bug where Cog Buildings would spawn presenting itself as a 1-story Cog Building but contain large waves of high levels Cogs.
• Fixed a crash that sometimes occurred when unloading Cogs.
• Adjusted crates in Cog HQs to be easier to push.
• Added server-side checks to prevent cheating in Cog Boss battles.
• The Obstacle Course GUI in Cashbot Mints now goes away when all players complete the course instead of waiting to timeout.
• Adjusted player spawn points for Toons arriving at Cashbot HQ and Lawbot HQ, preventing players from appearing in the path of Cogs.
• The Cog Paths in Cashbot HQ have been tweaked.
• Fixed an issue that made it hard to enter the Sellbot HQ Lobby doors with high framerates.
• Fixed a semi-rare issue that could trigger both Lawbot DA Office puzzles at the same time, instead of one.
• Fixed a soft-lock when trying to enter Cog Facility elevators without Laff.
• Fixed an issue that would cause parts of a Cog Facility to stop loading when changing camera perspectives.
• Fixed a crash that happens when you receive a Glad Hander summon at the end of a Chief Justice battle.
• Fixed a bug allowing Toons to get out of bounds while racing. Those rolling hills may look fun, but stick to the track!
• Fixed a soft-lock after time runs out in a race.
• All Pick-a-Name names are now fully gender neutral.
• Fixed issues allowing players to click on things when they shouldn't in type-a-name
• Fixed a bug where the Type-A-Name interface was interactable while a dialog box was onscreen.
• MiniGolf statistics will now be tracked past the max requirements for trophies.
• The “Back to Playground” button now properly says “Back to Cog HQ” if it will return a player to a Cog HQ.
• Fixed the Shticker Book from appearing while in Cog Disguises after acknowledging some in-game prompts.
• Toons no longer slow down when pressing the walk key while airborne. Physics strike back against the rebels!
• Toons are now teleported to the nearest playground if they end up outside of one while sad.
• Added checks to make sure Toons have an accessory trunk, wardrobe, and jellybean bank. If you’re missing one, you’ll be mailed a replacement right away!
• ToonFest has been renamed to Toontown's Cartoonival, and game assets have been updated to reflect the name change. These changes will be present next year.
• If you’re a new Toon who hasn’t visited their Estate, Token Takers will now prompt you to do so to make it more clear how to purchase prizes.
• The Slingshot Game now ends early if every player has the max score.
• Fixed a crash in Ice Slide when the key used to confirm your launch trajectory was pressed while the minigame was loading.
• Monkey, Bear, Pig, Deer and Crocodile Toons now appear in Photo Fun.
• Toons in Photo Fun now don the latest in accessory fashion. Take your photo shoots to the next level!
• Added an option in the Experimental Video menu to remove the 512x512 texture resolution cap. This is still unstable on Windows machines with Intel HD graphics, which we’re still working on.
• Added a new, optimized cannon model with an updated texture.
• Improved the appearance of several building and nametag fonts.
• Screenshots are now saved as PNG files rather than JPG files, increasing the quality of the screenshots.
• Hiding the GUI with F3 now hides the FPS counter.
• Addressed the stretched appearance of the Racing countdown text.
• Fixed a visual bug with the Overjoyed Laff Meters Silly Team Reward, which sometimes inaccurately displayed Max Laff Points.
• Addressed a bug where Animation Smoothing would be disabled in certain cases despite being enabled in the Options Menu.
• Fixed an issue where the sky would appear to move when jumping in certain playgrounds.
• Fixed overlapping text in the “Stop Ignoring” prompt.
• Fixed an issue with the quick Gag Page where Gag track information could overwrite the Cog XP progress box.
• Fixed an issue that caused track info to get stuck on the Gag page in the Shtickerbook.
• Fixed an issue where your Toon would be briefly visible in “the grey” while moving between doors. Thank you, Prepostera!